Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

If I Stay

Review of: If I Stay by Gayle Forman
Release date: April 2nd, 2009
Pages: 208
Publisher: Dutton Juvenile
Received for review: Electronic copy for Nook checked out from library
Overall Grade: B


17-year-old Mia has a great life. She has loving parents and a sweet younger brother. Her boyfriend adores her and she may even have a chance at getting in to Juilliard with her amazing skills on the Cello. But one random snowy morning everything changes. Her family decides on an impromptu outing once they realize the snow isn’t sticking around. The next thing Mia knows she’s standing on the side of the road listening to the music still playing in the torn up car and seeing her parents sprawled out on the pavement. She is having a sort of out of body experience and can’t feel anything that has happened to her own body but she can feel grief. In a matter of seconds her whole life has changed and now she needs to make a choice. Should she stay or should she go?

This was a fairly short book and I finished it in a day. It was heart wrenching and I cried several times. The book flips between the day of the accident and Mia’s life experiences from the past so that we can get to know what her life was like before the accident which in turn just made it that much more sad for me. But the writing was fantastic and I was drawn into the book immediately. I just had to know what Mia’s fate was.  The ending left it open for a follow up book and it’s already out, Where She Went. It’s already on hold at my library. I’m definitely excited for it to become available. If you're in the mood for a book to pull at your heart strings and make you tear up then definitely check this one out. If you don't feel like crying then I'd stay away, lol.

0 comments: